Wednesday, January 29, 2014

What do Teachers and Photographers Have in Common?

Yes, I lead a double life.
one of my 5th grade students rocks out on the drums
I'm a teacher AND a photographer.

I'm passionately living my dream of teaching math to students with learning differences and of photographing children, including those with exceptional needs (in Austin, my favorite city, no less).  Not to mention my glorious (but messy, and loud) home-life as a mother of three little boys.  My life is full and fulfilling.

So the question is, what do successful teachers and successful photographers have in common?


Empathy, patience, and a light heart.


{Empathy}

In teaching: Successful teachers strive to understand each student as a whole person.  Learning style, interests, distractions, passions, dislikes, etc.  Teachers who get to know students as people are able to present material to them in a way that will best suit their individual needs.

In photography:  Each client has unique needs, goals for a session, and style preferences.  Especially when working with children with special needs, an attentive photographer will tune in to a parent's view of the child and photograph the child through the same loving lens.

In my life:  This is where I'm a little bit selfish.  In teaching, I bask in the glory when a student aces a test or has the all-coveted "ah-ha moment."  I celebrate to my core the joy of their success.  And as a photographer, I'm elated every time I receive a thank you note from a client saying how much they love their pictures and their new works of art or how they're so thankful that I had the patience to work with their particular child.

{Patience}

In teaching: Wait time. . . . wait . . . . wait. . . . wait. . . .it's okay.  Some students just need time to think.  Such a simple idea, but often challenging in practice.  Successful teachers will bear out the silence and give students the processing time that they need.

In photography: Children don't pose... unless they're just being goofy or were regrettably told to, "say CHEESE!" To truly capture their spirit takes both patience and quick reflexes.  A patient photographer is like a stalking cat... waiting for the right moment, patient yet prepared to pounce on the right images.  A photographer of children with special needs is this x 10 (yes, it's a math reference).

In my life:  Though sometimes my 4-year-old twins test me on this one, perhaps the fact that I have 4-year-old twins and chose to have a 3rd child would attest to my patience.  

{a Light Heart}

In teaching: Many students come to class with one sort of learning phobia or another... especially to math class.  It seems like such a dreaded subject.  My grandmother always claimed "laughter is the best medicine," and this can be particularly true for treating the common math-phobia.  Having fun and taking the time to laugh in class can slice through the weight of fear and help students become ready to learn.  Read more in this APA article.

In photography:  Children live in the moment.  And that moment is often pretty light.  In any given photo shoot with children the photographer could find herself crawling on the ground, joining in a song and dance, trying on a silly hat, the possibilities are endless (and silly and thrilling).  And meeting a child where she's at will result in beautiful, authentic photos.

In my life: Anyone who loves working with kids loves being a kid... This past week I've pretended to be a kitty, danced around the house like an octopus, flown a T-Rex shaped kite, licked the dough off a cookie mixer, built a Hot Wheels race track out of Duplos, rocked out to one of my students as Kieth Moon at "The Who" cover show, played Gaga Ball, and acted as a game show host (with what one of my students referred to as a "jazzy voice").  And it's only Tuesday.

So after a little bit of reflection, my double- (triple, if you include the family) life doesn't seem so disjointed.  In a Horton-esque fashion, I do what I love, and I love what I do.

What are you passionate about, and where do your passions overlap in your life?


No comments:

Post a Comment